Commit to Net-Zero!
To contribute to the goals of COP26 in Glasgow in November 2021, SSF encouraged all its members to commit to lowering carbon emissions.
As a party to the Paris Agreement, Switzerland – alongside other countries – has made a clear commitment to achieve net zero emissions by 2050 and halve them by 2030. The contribution from the private sector is fundamental to delivering on this pledge.
Below are the voluntary net zero statements from SSF member signatories.
37 SSF members are signatories.
Please inform us, if you have made a new commitment and want to be included in this list of Swiss Signatories.
GFANZ (Glasgow Financial Alliance for Net-Zero)
The GFANZ was established pre-COP26 as an umbrella organisation to bring together existing and new net zero finance initiatives into one sector-wide strategic alliance. It supports and coordinates net zero alliances, elevates best practices, addresses shared challenges, engages on global policy issues and drives ambition. GFANZ is grounded in the UN's Race to Zero campaign, which has an independent, academics-led Expert Peer Review Group tasked with reviewing all applications to join the Race to Zero and ensuring they meet the ambitous criteria for participation. Alongside this, GFANZ has an Advisory Panel consisting of actors from financial instiutions, industry and sector collaborations, NGOs, supranational entities, governments and civil society. GFANZ is focussing on seven key areas: sectoral pathways, the transition to the real economy, financial institution transition plans, portfolio alignment measurement, mobilising private capital, advocating for public policy and building commitment.
Alliances and Initiatives Overview
In order to support the commitment to net zero, SSF has prepared an overview and comparison of initiatives for the financial sector. In the view of SSF, an effective net zero pledge has measurable targets that are publicly communicated and quantitatively reported on an annual basis.
The following GFANZ net zero pledges are recognized by SSF:
- Net Zero Asset Owner Alliance (NZAOA)
- Net Zero Asset Manager Initiative (NZAMI)
- Net Zero Banking Alliance (NZBA)
- Net Zero Isurance Alliance (NZIA)
- Paris Aligned Investment Initiative (PAII)
In addition to the above existing initiatives, two more initiatives have been launched:
- Net Zero Financial Service Providers Alliance (NZFSPA)
- Net Zero Investment Consultant Initiative (NZICI)
The following other net-zero pledges are recognized by SSF:
If you are a member and would like access to our call for commitment letter, please get in touch.
Opportunity for Financial Players
We see a clear opportunity for financial players to commit to a net-zero path for the following reasons:
- A proactive approach in aligning portfolios with a net-zero path can help mitigate financial risks
- Investing in and lending to a green and climate resilient economy offers growth opportunities and strengthens competitiveness as these market segments will become increasingly important
- Providing transparency on the continual alignment of portfolios to global climate goals helps meet changing expectations of clients and other stakeholders and supports a positive reputation
Any Further Questions?
At SSF we are highly enthusiastic about our members joining a net-zero commitment, therefore if we can assist you please feel free to ask us questions.